Monday, 6 April 2009

Diaryland....

Uh-ohhh.... I am a bit nervous that the inevitable has happened and Diaryland has suddenly disappeared out of existance. Yesterday I could access it fine. The day before I wrote an entry in my pregnancy diary there, even. But tonight (for the last few hours), my pregnancy diary is a broken link, and so is the main diaryland url and the members area, etc. They do sometimes have down times and server problems, but I have never had a broken link message before :(

I'm SO annoyed with myself because for the last two days I have had this itch to hurry and dump as much of my pregnancy diary posts into a Blogger blog (I started one a couple of months ago with the same name: alicesbaby.blogspot.com, but it's empty as yet) as I could. I kept feeling anxious that Diaryland could "go under" at any moment - though there was nothing to warrant that, just an anxiety about the fact that there aren't really many users online lately, and it seems quiet there. If it's gone then I have lost my pregnancy diary, which I have kept since we were first thinking about trying for our first baby, at the beginning of 2003. EVERYTHING is recorded there. The only reason I didn't transfer it here sooner, when I transferred THIS blog, is that I found it hard enough to copy and paste 269 diary entries (!!!) for this blog, and when I saw there were like 575 posts on my pregnancy diary I sort of went mentally weak at the knees and put it off! ;) Well, I should have just stuck to it and done the job, because it would have been so worth it. Now I have lost my diary and I feel so sad about it.

It isn't a total loss though, because I guess there's a chance that it's just some server problem?? Isn't there?!?! Please?! I'm thinking broken link is NOT a good sign, and I have no idea how to find out what's happened. Tsk. Also, I did once have gold membership that a couple of precious readers bought for me back when you didn't get priority to post to your diary if you weren't a gold member and the server was super busy (it sounds such a rubbish place, doesn't it!!) - thank goodness I did because being a gold member allowed me to back up my diary at that point in time (which you can't do unless you buy gold!! Soooo bad, now that I think about it! Tsk!). So, I have backed up my pregnancy diary in very basic text form on a HUGE document, up till 22 weeks pregnant with Nathan :(

This is GOOD, because I have saved all my diary entries from when we were trying for a baby at the beginning, and ALL of Arthur's pregnancy, his arrival and first 6 months, ALL of Matthew's pregnancy, his arrival and first 7 weeks, and the first half of Nathan's pregnancy. BUT, I'm so very very sad because I still have lost so much - the second whole half of my pregnancy with Nathan, the posts I made from the hospital whilst in labour and in the middle of the nights on the postnatal ward after his early arrival (so special to me), and his first few months. PLUS everything from this pregnancy in its entirety :( I'm so sad about that. I'm glad to have not lost it all but still so sad about what I have lost. I have lost all the photo references, though I have all the photos on the computer and laptop somewhere. And my belly galleries and ultrasound galleries are gone, and birth stories too - I don't think I have copies of my birth stories! Oh I'm so annoyed at Diaryland!!! Why don't places ever give notice that they're going under!!!! I sort of knew they wouldn't, which is why I got this blog and transferred my arthursmummy diary here. How I WISH I had just not been so lazy and got my precious pregnancy journal transferred too.

I hope I'm wrong and it's all back to normal tomorrow, but I can't help but think the broken link thing is evidence that it's gone for ever. It's so mean to pull the rug out from the users there like that - a little warning that things were coming to that would have been a basic courtesy! :( If it DOES come back, I will use my every waking (spare!) moment to move diary entries over to Blogger, starting with the most recent.

Urgh. :(



post signature

7 comments:

Post Pals said...

You've got me really worried now, I so hope thats not the case! I wrote in my diary there as often as i could between the ages of 16 and 21, and it includes a period of my life that i have little memory about (due to my health). I'm going to be checking diaryland like mad now! I didnt know you could back up diaries with gold membership, i would of purchased that if it was the case. LOL@the not being able to update unless you were gold at certain times, I had forgotten that, it does seem crazy looking back but i loved diaryland! I only stopped writing there as I had updated in my Livejournal for a bit and when I copied them over they got posted in a weird order. I sent a help request in and 3 years on they still hadn't answered!

Would it help that you can retrieve a little bit using the "way back machine" http://web.archive.org/web/20070810012042/http://alicesbaby.diaryland.com/

Post Pals said...

its nearly 3am and diaryland is back up

Kelli said...

It's there now. Whew...a relief for you I'm sure!

They can delete mine as far as I'm concerned. LOL

Meg said...

It's there today! I never noticed the downtime at all. Have fun transferring entries!!

Tequilamonkey said...

It's back today but you've reminded me I must get those last diary entries transfered accross!

Jeannie said...

Yes, just leaping on to say It's Back! too :-) Get transferring... would be a complete shame to lose that. I still think you could publish most of it!

Megan Cobb said...

I hope he'd give us warning if he were to shut it down? Don't you think he would? Anyway it's looking fine now, thank goodness!