I did better today with my five things! I decided the 5th one should be "Take boys for a walk" because the day was sooooo clear and sunny and crisp and beautiful, but sadly that was the one goal I didn't make. I DID make a yummy lamb casserole, which two-thirds of my children refused (sigh), and finish clearing the clean clothing piles from the stairs, and get washed and dressed this morning, AND I read a couple of books aloud to each individual boy today, yay! I felt soooo happy for doing that, and they seemed calmer after story time too. I decided today that I seriously need to ditch the TV. They watch incredibly too much TV and it's on for most of the day, and I can't fathom how it's come to this, when I originally did NOT want my small children watching TV at all!!! Also, Arthur is more aggressive and "nutso" after a block of TV, which I used to be as a child too, so my parents limited my TV quite a bit. I was older than Arthur though. Anyway. I'm nervous about what to do if it's not on! It has (embarrassingly!) become quite a coping mechanism for me...
Anyway, I got 4 out of 5 off my list done today!!! Four out of five = very good! Yay!
Neil ended up working till 10pm or so tonight, and the ringer was off on the phone (my fault entirely) so he left messages but it got so that dinner was running late and it still wasn't quite ready, and I was hoping Neil would watch the boys who were getting tired and hungry and cranky, while I cleared the kitchen enough for us to EAT in it and served dinner. I kept thinking maybe he was stuck in traffic, and then wondering aloud where he could be, and then I thought to check the phone, and there were two messages about working late tonight! Oops. So, then it was not easy getting all 3 fed and ready for bed, and INTO bed and sleeping by myself. Nathan was asleep for 8pm, but that's when I like them ALL to be asleep by, if not earlier really. If I'm on my own they just have to go in order from youngest to eldest. Arthur would not go to sleep because he missed his daddy, so I let him get up to phone Neil at work and chat to him for a few minutes. He went to sleep pretty fast after that, but it was 9.30pm by then.
Also, today we had a "monkey moment", the likes of which we (thankfully!) haven't seen in a while! I went up to put Nathan down for his afternoon nap, and made sure the boys had something to watch on TV (urgh!) that keeps them entertained and thus quiet. Apparently it wasn't entertaining enough for Matthew, who did this instead:

Yes, folks, it's the Sudocrem again. Nappy cream that does not wash out of anything! ;) I had no words when I saw him, as I felt exhausted and was TOTALLY not expecting trouble at that point in time! I think I just said his name a lot, and couldn't find words to follow that, and then grabbed the camera as it seemed like the only vaguely sane thing to do! ;) His face was a picture when he realised he was busted!

But he was very pleased with his "cleaning" - apparently that's what he was doing. He told me he even cleaned his hands and feet. He did a very thorough job - not a speck of cream-free skin on his feet, including inbetween his toes and the soles and heels! Here he is showing me his "clean" hands:

Ohhhh it was everywhere. The carpet was covered, and then he'd walked around the room looking for toys to "clean", and so there were white greasy footprints everywhere. He did a great job cleaning Arthur's car transporter:

My skin is actually cracked from the amount of detergent I used under the hottest water I could bear to clean that car transporter in the kitchen sink! I washed endless tiny little dress-up doll clothes (which they got for Christmas and LOVE) by hand, and scrubbed the carpet like crazy. It still is yucky and greasy and somewhat white though. I made Matthew clean the wall with a towel after I stripped his cream-covered clothes off, and clean the side of the merchant's chest with baby wipes (which at least cut through the stuff), and he was very willing and diligent. He was very quiet! I think he knew he'd been properly naughty!


Arthur hadn't even noticed what Matthew was doing, and gasped in a sort of horror/delight sort of way. He ran for the camera while I was cleaning Matthew up, as he takes dozens of photos on my camera every day at the moment. Lots of them come out blurry if he's too excited about the subject, haha! ;) Here's me somewhat huffily cleaning the cream off Matthew's feet!


The photographer (we have LOTS of photos like this one, as Arthur likes taking them, and pulling as many different faces as possible! In this one he's waggling his tongue to make a silly noise!):

And, so as not to leave him out, my sweet little one-toothed wonder, taken by Arthur the other day!

I can smell Sudocrem even now. And it's so late! I must go to bed!
Tomorrow's Five Things:
* Get washed and dressed
* Wash the cream out of Matthew's hair (it's blotted and wiped as best I could, but yeah, the poor boy has had to go to bed with somewhat creamy hair tonight!)
* Do 2 wash loads and dry loads - the need for which is evidenced by the BULGING portable safety gate behind Matthew's monkeyness - it's all dirty laundry in the kitchen doorway, yuck! I am SO going to wash it all tomorrow.
* Read aloud at least a couple of books to each boy
* Go for a walk? I'll try!
I'll be back tomorrow probably! :)





10 comments:
Hello!
I have been reading you since you were pregnant with Arthur. Just coming on to let you know I will follow you here:)
Hello :)
It's my first time going out of lurking on your diary. I am following you in both your journals (and now here) since your pregnancy with Arthur too - I was due a few weeks later with my daughter then who was born in December. I have not had any more children since then (we have an older son too and my husband feels our family is complete), but I really envy you for your little ones :) I am quite long-winded myself so I really enjoy your wafflings and stuff and your thoughts. And your journey in God - I am not relligious myself, but I find it fascinating and thought-provoking.
I hope today you'll earn the "excellent" on your 5 things :)
Wowzers! I'm honestly not sure what to say about the sudocrem incident except I remember one of my boys doing the same thing with shake-n-vac! Seems like you dealt with it calmly :)
Loving Nathan's toothie and Arthur's photography skills!
Sam
Oh that SudoCrem! Jamie did EXACTLY that except that we got to him a bit earlier and stopped the extent of the mess. Oh, and he ate it. A big mouth full of it. Urgh.
Alice,
Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog! You're very encouraging. :) I'm glad you've switched over to Blogger! It will be easier to leave you comments now.
I love all of the pictures that you post! Your boys are so cute! What a great idea to list 5 things to get done each day too. Maybe I should try that...
Look at you, posting on blogger like the cool kids. Oh I am so "following" you now!
That makes two boys who've made a mess with that cream, doesn't it? I hope Nathan doesn't take it up as a family tradition.
There must be something about kids and sudocreme! If I don't keep it on a high shelf Jamie is obsessed with it!
If th carpet is still greasy and you can't get it out by traditional methods you could hire a DIY professional carpet cleaner and solution from your local Morrison's. Cheaper than getting the pros in, but just as good. We're moving out of our flat soon (and back down south as I have a job, woo!) and we're going to do this as we're required to clean the carpets professionally before we leave (we'll probably have to paint over where Jamie has biroed on the wall too, lol!).
I still regret not taking photos when Riley was about that age and he "decorated" the entire kitchen with a black permanent marker. I was mortified at the time but now I think back and it is hilarious to me, haha.
The photos are too cute. I love the last two by Arthur, he's quite talented! :)
Your photos are too cute. I just love that one tooth grin! Arthur does a very good job with photography. My kids were more interested in taking photos of the walls or a speck of dirt on the carpet at that age. HeeHee! You blog looks so nice! I just love the layout and am struggling with finding one that suits me for mine. Oh the Sudocream! That reminds me of another monkey boy that had fun with it.. wasn't that Arthur? =) By the way, this is Melanie from DLand. I'm a follower. Much Love!
I forgot that I wanted to throw in some encouragement re: a professional declutterer. If you are at all discouraged about using one, I will say that in my family, my sister and I do the bulk of de-cluttering and cleaning out of the family and with two adult children on the case, and nobody younger than 10 to make huge messes, my mother still gets a cleaner in. SHE IS A MARVEL TO THIS HOUSEHOLD. Seriously, I think that's absolutely a marvelous step for you to take to try to get the mess to a manageable level with little kids around.
Post a Comment