I am so thankful for rain. Today I watched it fall from the window and had one of those moments of surreal clarity. How amazing it suddenly seemed, to see water falling out of the sky and making big pools and streams on the ground! Like I had never really seen it before. I was just in awe that God sends water down to earth from the sky, and that the plants and living things grow and thrive because of it.
I thought about parts of western Africa which are right now experiencing severe drought. A charity letter that came the other week said that most children aged under six in those parts have NEVER seen rain falling before. That just stopped me right in my tracks. I just think, how can we - how DARE we?! - moan and complain about a little rain? I mean, Cumbria has reason to be upset about the rain and there has been loss of life in the floods, but I mean more in terms of general daily British whining and complaining about rainy weather. In light of the African crisis, it just sickens me to hear people complaining! I mean, really, it's nothing but a minor inconvenience or mood-depressant, surely? Not actually a big deal! We are BLESSED beyond measure - we need water to survive, and we literally have it falling out of the sky in our country! The landscape in parts of west Africa is scattered with dead animal carcasses. Nothing will grow, and no livestock can survive, so no food is available for people or animals, and everyone is starving. All for lack of RAIN.
Today, I rejoice in the rich and luxurious blessing of heavy rainfall, and I pray that God will release it over Africa again. Without intending to, Benjamin and I slept in so ridiculously late this morning that Neil got the boys ready for church without waking us, and went to church without us. When we got up, we enjoyed a quiet house, and some beautiful worship music. I flung open the windows, even with the chilly air, to bask in the beauty of the rain, with Benjamin in my arms. After watching it for a while, I realised that I really wanted to photograph it. The things that I feel really passionate about photographing are elements of nature, and babies and children. I have always loved photographing a pile of leaves, or a sunset (endless endless badly-turned-out photos of these from my teens and 20s, haha!), or a tree in its autumn colours. Today, the idea of trying to capture just RAIN gave me such a buzz! I took some photos, and then Benjamin went for a nap. Once he was asleep I was able to play with my camera a little more. I still know very little about taking photographs with my new(ish!) camera, but I certainly enjoyed trying various things to get the images I wanted. I didn't get quite what I wanted for all the different things I saw (maybe this should be at my photography blog?!), but I had fun! :)

Benjamin watching the rain from my arms

Beautiful raindrops on my open window


The sun comes out!


And the rain continues...

How good are God's gifts to us, and how beautiful His creation is!


I love the rain! :)





6 comments:
Those rainbow shots are AMAZING. I love the look on Benjamin's face, he is too cute! :)
Lovely rain pics. I love rain too! I may remind you of your moaning-about-the-weather rant next time it's hot and humid though ;-)
M xx
I'm so impressed with your optimism. I'm rather bored of the rain myself though, i don't mind rain but a day without it would be nice. Today I am really struggling to see the positives... but that may be because I had to drive for 2 1/2 hours in it yesterday and just had to bundle my children into school! Bet you're thankful you don't have to do a school run in the rain... another advantage of homeschooling ;)
Thank you for your happy rain post, I feel better about it already :D
Thanks Jenn! :)
Meg, no no, it's just moaning about the RAIN that's bad and naughty! ;) I have yet to find a godly reason for heat and humidity, haha! ;)
Jemma, poor you driving in it all! I admit that does not sound like fun, and I am truly thankful for not having to do ANY kind of school run, let alone a rainy one! ;) My kids would rarely be on time for school, I think! Good thing we're homeschooling! ;) You're doing a great job! xx
Those are such pretty photos and they reflect how you FEEL about the rain today very well! You are such a blessing to us all, my friend. Such a blessing. :)
Those are some great photos.
Post a Comment