Sunday, 3 May 2009

Haircuts (Nathan's First!)

Now, nothing at ALL whatsoever to do with my brief loss of sanity back there where I put Nathan's hair in pretty bunches (!), but the very next day, we took the boys for haircuts! ;) We haven't had a good time with normal hairdressers for the boys, so after some research we have been using an excellent children's hairdresser for the last year-ish. The only down side is that it's a bit more expensive, mainly because of the location. We take them to Tantrum Hairdressing in Chelsea (west central London), and that's inside the congestion zone (only just!) so we have to pay that charge. And parking is crazy expensive. We usually go only on Sundays because then there's no congestion charge and parking is free, but this Sunday (today) we're going to a party, and we wanted the boys not to be shaggy-looking for that! ;) We've been poorly for a few weekends running (really! It's crazy how long/bad this cold has been!) so we haven't been so that we wouldn't pass it on to others.

So, yesterday we finally went! It was Nathan's First Haircut! Waaaah! :( Arthur sat in the red racing car and watched Toy Story and had his hair cut with nooo problems in super quick time. Matthew is usually okay having his haircut there (he's the reason we had to find a children's hairdresser!), but yesterday there were a few other children there and some where having their hair blow-dried, and he freaks out at blow driers (and hoovers!) and other such sounds, so he was not too happy and wouldn't sit in a chair to have a haircut. Nathan, meanwhile, sat happily in the red fire engine for a couple of minutes with Neil showing him the steering wheel and such. He beamed and steered importantly, and I thought we were going to be okay! But as soon as he wanted to get out (about 90 seconds after getting in), and people tried to encourage him to stay, he was NOT happy! After that it was really hard work the whole time. Matthew did eventually consent to sitting in Arthur's red racing car after Arthur was finished, and had his hair cut. But Neil had to stay next to him, and so I went downstairs to a quieter area with Nathan, and attempted to contain him on my lap, squirming and screaming for the whole 20 minutes that it took to just try to trim his hair! We both got COVERED in hair, snot and dribble! Yeurgh. It was not too easy to hold him writhing and changing position on me like that for so long, with my big baby bump, and my back hurt, but we plodded on!

I asked them not to take too much off because he's my BABY and I couldn't bear losing too much hair at the first haircut! I can never bear that with my babies! They started out fine, but he was so writhey when they were trying to do the back neckline. They got the clippers to make it quicker and easier, but because he was moving so much, they would keep missing the spot they aimed at and so it would get shorter and shorter and they'd keep having to even it up! So, he has a reeeally short hairline at the back now, haha! It's even, pretty much, but he looks a little bit like a monk (without the bald patch on top)! He does look very sweet though, and SO much more like a real little boy all of a sudden. Even when I gaze at him sleeping in his cot, he doesn't look so much like a baby in there as he did before, just with his haircut. *sniffle*

I would have liked Matthew's hair a bit shorter, because his grows sooooo fast and I know it will be back to mop-like before I can blink! But oh well. Here are a few hastily shot photos of the boys (hasty because they wouldn't keep still, but I wanted to record the haircuts, especially Nathan's!). They're not the best photos of them, but oh well, they were not co-operating with having their photos taken too much! Especially the one of all three together, which is very blurry as Arthur and Matthew are moving and talking, but I included it to illustrate the fact that I have three little boys! Not so much two little boys and a baby boy, but THREE LITTLE BOYS now! Wow. It just really struck me as I watched them playing after their haircuts yesterday. Time for a new baby! ;)













Right, now I must hurry up and shower and hope to find something maternity-wise to squeeze my enlarging self into (struggling with that lately, especially with the change of season clothing!) for the party. It's the first time we've been to visit Cameron's family in a couple of years! It's his dad's birthday and they invited us to a family birthday bash, so that should be lovely. They didn't know I was expecting again so they were pretty surprised about that, having felt sure they only received Nathan's birth announcement in the post, ohhh, a couple of months ago! ;) Hopefully it will be a lovely afternoon and not rain. Cameron will be missed, of course. He would be 17 in July!!!!! Is that not crazy?!?! I miss him.



post signature

2 comments:

Tequilamonkey said...

Aw the curls are gone!! He's still cute as a button though! All three look smart ready for the party. They look so like brothers too iykwim! When I first saw that pic of Nathan on Facebook I thought it was Matthew

Well done for the major haircut trip. I must admit I'm now a convert to the clipper haircut for my boy, quick, cheap and doesn't involve me having to hover around the chair while some poor woman nearly chops off her own fingers through his squirming ;)

Hugs for tonight honey, I hope it's full of happy memories for you xxxx

Melanie said...

They look like BIG boys with their new haircuts. So sweet!!