So there's a TV show called X-factor which is literally the only thing I now watch in the entire year, pretty much, except for the odd documentary. I'm not even sure if I should be watching that, because I notice it pulls me a little away from focusing on God. Anyway, so if you don't know, it's a contest thing where the general public audition and it goes on and on through various stages of voting them off from August until the big finale in December, when one of these contestants wins a recording contract and a bunch of money. Shallow, but fun entertainment! ;)
Now for 4 years the fact that it finishes in December (yes, probably arranged that way) means that the hugely popular, voted-by-the-public winner releases a single and instantly gets to number one in the charts for Christmas. Christmas number one used to be a nice affair of an actual exciting race for various artists to try and take the coveted spot at that specific week of the year, and I remember that well from my younger years, and enjoyed it too. Now it seems to be a thing of the past because of X-factor, which is a shame.
Sooo a Facebook group has started up to "fix" that, and make somebody else number one for a change. *sigh* I do GET it, but ugh it's so chiiiildish! And much much worse, the single that they are pushing forward to be Christmas number one is Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the name". Could there be anything more horrible to listen to or support (or spend money on)?!?! Full of expletives and nastiness. Yuck. I think it's that which has me so annoyed. If I had the inclination (thankfully I plan to leave the playground as soon as I get this post off my chest) I would buy like fifty thousand X-factor singles just to show my lack of support for the rival thing, but of course that would be reeeally daft and I am obviously not going to stoop that low! ;) I am just so wound up about it, which surprises me really, because I haven't let "surface" worldly stuff bother me in recent years. I'm annoyed at myself to be back in that way! Which is another reason I should probably not even watch X-factor any more, I guess!
It's not like if RATM DO get to number one it will mean anything, except that a vile evil hate-filled song is pumped into way more homes and minds than it ever should be, this Christmas (and way beyond). I'm sure lots of people will have smug smiles and all, but then what? It wasn't an upheld "old-fashioned race" for the number one spot! RATM wouldn't win because of that, they would never have REALLY earned or won the top spot, not like it should be, or used to be. And X-Factor would probably go right back to where it was next year, unless another similiarly stupid campaign were to take place then too.
I for one enjoyed the X-factor (which I know many of the campaigners do too) and am thrilled with the guy who won. I love his voice, and would much rather hear his single at number one than pretty much any other (not that I have actually listened to the charts since my teens! Gasp!). The song I would least like to ever hear, and am just boiling that it's even being PROMOTED (by Christians amongst others, even!!!) is RATM's Killing in the Name. Awful, frustrating, annoying, irritating stuff!!
I miss the real old-fashioned race for Christmas number one, but since those days seem to have passed, I am thinking just accept and move on really. It's a shame, but not a big enough deal for the craziness that has ensued.
Now endeth the rant! ;)
I shall be back as soon as possible (haha!) to put another post at the top instead of this one, since it's just whiney and irritable and just GRRRR!!! I am sure I have UK readers who strongly disagree (in fact I know a couple at Facebook) and have no interest in joining Facebook debates, or cluttering up my own profile with such things, but I am just popping mad about it today for some reason - I guess it's been growing on me day by day as I keep seeing this stupid stuff! So I hope that since it's VENTED, it's done, and I will now switch my TV off till next year or something, ignore the world at large, and focus more on God (like I should have been doing in the first place!) ;)





10 comments:
Hi Alice, this is nothing to do with your recent post (don't watch X Factor or know much about pop music, so can't comment!). I just saw this note from a fellow editor on our work email group and thought of you, so just thought I'd let you know in case you're interested (I don't know anything more about the research, but I know the woman who sent the email is a decent type!):
If anyone on this site suffers from restless leg syndrome or knows
someone who does, could I ask them to contact me with their
phone number? We are looking for such people on behalf of a large
pharmaceutical company that is conducting research and wants to ask
them some questions over the telephone. They will receive a small
remuneration for their services.
Josephine Bacon
Josephine Bacon
Tamr Translations
197 Kings Cross Road
London WC1X 9DB
Tel: 020 7 278 9490
Email: bacon@langservice.com
Hey, there's a group hoping the Muppet's Bohemian Rhapsody will make it instead :)
I share your thoughts about Rage against the machine, and similar bands, and I say this as someone who once owned a RATM album (tho people don't always believe this when I tell them)... I find the whole "I'm angry and I want to swear and this makes me cool" not only annoying and depressing, but a very tired and worn out idea. For heaven's sake, the Sex Pistols did it. Maybe it's time to move on and use the anger to do something constructive.
I have to say I totally agree with the unfortunate nature of the whole X-factor manipulation of the markets thing. But do let me interject a small defense of RATM! Well not only is that song practically ancient, and so doesn't make any sense being in the running for any spots on the charts currently, but RATM aren't a violent group in the sense of glorifying it at all. Really. They are actually a very activist and politically critical group. Many of their songs are in response to social injustices and human rights violations! So they are angry about these things and so shows in the tone of the music. Now if you were talking about some lame-assed band like Korn or Slipknot or... I don't know... then, yeah. :)
Hi Alice - you may remember Tracy Morter (TracyM/Moogeyboobles) from your forum days. She set up the facebook group as a bit of a laugh, and has been absolutely flabbergasted with the way it has taken off. She really didn't expect it to become quite the phenomenon it has.
They have also set up a RATM4XMAS justgiving site, and have raised almost £30,000 for Shelter off the back of "the campaign" - so while I agree with you that it's not the best tune in the world, some good has come out of it :-)
Urgh, posted a huge comment and now it's lost! Just wanted to say I guess I'm one of the people who has irritated you on facebook which is unfortunate as I am totally behind RATM's single for genuine reasons. A lot of people who actually like xfactor are also buying the RATM single to protest about the way contestants are treated, for every Leona Lewis there is a Leon Jackson or a Steve Brookstein, dropped by Simon Cowell if they don't fit his plan after the first single. Also as a music lover I detest my children being exposed to all this manufactured pop, I'd so much rather they knew about playing instruments and writing music and lyrics. Tat has already mentioned the charity side of things that was going to be my final point, so I'll leave it at that, just wanted to make sure you knew that a lot of people are backing the campaign for good reasons not out of hatred or rage! xx
I don't think it's a particularly hate filled song?? I'm surprised by how much I like it actually! I do feel for Joe as I think that song he's been given is terrible!
But mostly I bought it to support Tracy, and because it's exciting to see who will get the Christmas number one for once!
I quite like the X-factor too, though we're more Strictly fans in this house. FWIW Tracy also watches the X-factor ;-)
Haha that'll be me irritating you too then.
Everyone else has already said the reasons I'm supporting the campaign (fair competition, charity, decent music etc.) and I only have limited dongle time but just hugs for you feeling annoyed by it. Please don't let it get to you too much, it's really not worth it (((Alice)))
To be honest I've never watched X Factor myself so only saw and heard the winner for the first time today..... he didn't change my mind ;)
I'm siding with Michelle re. RATM, HOWEVER, I know nothing about the Christmas Eve charts, but your post made me thing of Love, Actually (in which one storyline follows the Christmas Eve charts) and how lovely a movie that is :)
Also (sorry!) RATM is a hate-filled song because it's about racism, the anger is all aimed at the KKK.
Post a Comment