Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Nearly at my due date....

It's July 1st! July is actually here! I am 39 weeks pregnant today!

I am so stressed about it being July and being 39 weeks pregnant today. Right now I just feel like I want to run away and hide from the inevitable events of the next couple of weeks. Everything feels soooo overwhelming right now.

It's so HOT and humid! I am sooooo bad with hot and humid weather, I just can't stand it. I feel ill in hot weather when I'm NOT 39 weeks pregnant with little ones to look after! I am so beyond thankful for our plug-in A/C unit that we bought from Homebase a few days after Matthew was born (in the last heatwave we had! Why is it only when I'm about to give birth?!). It means we have to hang a hose out of the window and I am not crazy about spiders coming into my bedroom (the boys found a female false widow spider in the garden the week before last (Neil killed it) and then last week Neil found the male and the nest complete with hundreds of spiderlings and a new egg sac (*shudder*) in the pedal of his bike in the garden!). I'm pretty sure a couple of dozen of those spiderlings have not been accounted for! So I'm paranoid about open windows right now. I don't want false widow spiderlings coming in and maturing into adults who will then give my babies venomous bites!! Scary. I found one inside so far already. Anyway, I digress. I'm so thankful for the A/C unit! It means my bedroom is only 76 degrees (25 celsius? I don't speak celsius!) instead of 91 overnight (33!) like it was before we bought it when Matthew was newly born! Crazy! It doesn't cool the other rooms too well, but it's so much better than nothing! We are just having the curtains and windows closed all the time when the sun is on the house, and it's too hot for the boys to play outside. This morning early there was some cloud so I let them out before 9am for a while. They wanted to come in after 40 minutes when the sun came out. It's just so oppressive! We're eating ice-lollies and drinking plenty but generally pretty bored inside.

It doesn't help that I'm suddenly completely incapacitated, it seems, pregnancy-wise. I am healthy and this pregnancy has gone wonderfully smoothly! I feel so blessed! But also, I'm just so huge and exhausted lately, and no matter my night-sleep, I feel desperate for a long nap every afternoon, which I can't get. I am pretty much able to do Nathan's naps, nappy changes for the younger two, and get their meals, and that's about IT. Which sucks for the boys really. There is NO housework getting done, and let me tell you, not doing housework + heat and humidity = fast mould growth, oh yes. And stinky home. We don't even have something useful like a washing line, or anything outside which we could hang clothes on! But I refuse to use the tumble dryer, so the result is lately that we have no clean clothes and a multiplying mountain of dirty laundry all over the house, urgh. I tried last week to do some housework (just basic maintenance!) but spent the rest of the day feeling nauseous and faint and exhausted, and basically had to lie on the sofa for nearly 3 hours that afternoon while the boys wreaked havoc around me! So, Neil said no more attempting to keep up with housework. But then, the house goes to complete ruin! Which is a) disgusting, and b) really upsetting me to look at. Also Neil is doing bits and pieces in the evenings, which I feel kind of bad about. He has enough on his plate really.

The boys' behaviour. Again. I almost don't want to write about it here because I have done so soooo many times this past year and it's always worse and worse and worse, and I always get a ton of advice that conflicts and end up feeling kind of embarrassed about admitting to what goes on in our home in the end! :S

But it's bad. Arthur and Matthew are spitting and peeing everywhere. I kid you not. They are trashing the room daily (more than once usually, especially Matthew). They are drawing on the walls. ALL my glass in the living room has dried spit on it. All of it. Mirror, door glass, windows, everything. It has been running and then smeared about with fingers, and is now dry like that, but today I have not managed to clean the glass in there. I sit in the evening and look at it and just feel so depressed. They do that to the glass every day, several times a day. They get disciplined every single time they spit, but they still do it the same. They are going out of their way to disobey me as much as they possibly can. Neil gets the exact same behaviour from them, it's disgusting really. They are so RUDE to our faces. They use nasty tones and aggressive faces, and blow raspberries and stick their tongues out at us. This is mainly Arthur, but Matthew is learning. I can't fathom how to discipline Arthur, because he is simply not responding to the strongest discipline we know how to dish out, even if it's repeated endless times per day. He is lately lying like crazy, and Matthew is starting to as well. His attitude and spirit is getting so awful, everything is about him and no matter if he has to hurt somebody else or lie through his teeth or blame some innocent brother, he will if it gets him what he wants, or helps him avoid something he doesn't want. I'm so disgusted, and I am struggling because I feel terribly guilty and at a loss about it - I'm the parent and this has to rest entirely on MY shoulders (well, Neil's and my shoulders, collectively). *I* am responsible for his behaviour and attitudes and it's my responsibility to mould and shape that in him, and I'm absolutely MISERABLY failing. The fruit is almost all bad.

We are honestly for the first time reaching a stage where we are feeling desperate enough to need some sort of professional help from a real-life "Supernanny" or someone, and we've never thought that could ever be us, no matter how bad things got with the boys. I can't really understand why, although I'm sure I must be being reeeally naive or just stupid about something, somewhere along the line. People suggest things, like, maybe it's to do with the baby coming? Or maybe they're just too bored and not stimulated enough? Maybe they don't get out enough? Maybe they should be at school? Etc, etc, you get the picture. I'm not convinced one bit about any of the above suggestions - it's been going on too long to be baby-related, although it's mayyybe possible that the behaviour worsening is related to it in some way? I don't know. Arthur is so very excited about Benjamin coming soon and talks eagerly about it all the time. Matthew says nothing about it, and seems not to have made much of a connection yet, so far.

Bedtimes are getting difficult. If Matthew does not nurse to sleep (and he won't be doing that all that much longer because I will probably want to wean him in a few months if he hasn't done so by himself), then it's impossible to get them all to settle properly for bed. Now, don't get the impression that I mean children who won't "settle down" and lay down in their beds, no no. I mean, children who scream and shout hysterically back and forth to each other and say as many rude things as they know how to say, and make sure they do the opposite of what we ask them repeatedly to do, as forcefully as possible for as long as possible, while their poor baby brother sits dazed in his cot next to their bunk bed in complete confusion at their noise, tired and wanting to be able to go to sleep. It makes me SO ANGRY, I can't even describe it. They always end up downstairs in seperate time-out zones, but still shrieking and spitting and laughing hysterically so that Nathan still can't go to sleep and we can't "switch off" their noise to our ears to allow ourselves to calm down and discipline them properly. This kind of bedtime takes 2 hours. Two hours of this continuous behaviour. I can't stand it!

Tonight I just cried and cried at bedtime. I lost my temper with Matthew after about 40 minutes of it and then held him while he cried, and Nathan cried next to us in his cot (while Arthur cried in the other bedroom with Neil) and just could not breathe for crying. I never ever do that in front of the kids, but I just had nothing left to prevent it. They did calm down after that, but urgh.

I have a stressy home visit from midwives tomorrow, well, two. A normal antenatal appointment in the morning and then a big appt at noon where some midwives are coming over and bringing the senior Supervisor of Midwives from the hospital, to discuss in detail my decision to have a homebirth despite being Group B Strep positive (thus declining IV antibiotics). Urrrrgh. My doula is coming (did I say here that I have a fantastic Christian doula?!?! I do! Thank you Lord!) and I'm glad of that, and Neil is going to try to get work to let him be here over that time to take the boys somewhere (shopping centre?! Too hot for outside!) while it happens.

I feel about ready to just have a hospital birth anyway, with the state of the house and the boys' behaviour. More than that though, I am just feeling slightly panicky about the fact that I'm 39 weeks pregnant and due to give birth REALLY soon. I don't want to!!! I want to hide and for it not to happen! I would happily continue my pregnancy for another few months right now! ;) I just can't fathom how it will be when I have tiny Benjamin here AND the house as it is and the boys' behaviour as it is, in such a short time from now. I have no idea how on earth I will avoid postnatal depression with that kind of set up. I had it mildly after the first two boys, mainly due to finding it hard to cope afterwards. None whatsoever with Nathan, possibly because Neil was out of work and home to help all the time. So, I'm anxious.

Well, my laptop battery is about to die and I made a deal with myself to go to bed when it dies! So I must stop for now. Sorry it's just a huge rant. I need to pray a lot. I'll update properly soon.



post signature

17 comments:

Julie said...

I'm sorry things are the way they are right now Alice, but the setup seems just perfect for the Lord to show you that He is in control even when you are not. I WILL be praying for you. Try not to think about 'fixing' everything right now. Just the basics - food, shelter, semi-clean clothing, and as much love as you can pass out. It will work itself out. Just know that you are loved and I AM praying for you. Please update (even just a little) as you can. I won't just be praying for you. I'll be praying for those little monsters! (I mean those little angels!) The Lord is our Helper. xoxo Julie

hopeforcambodia said...

Alice, I am praying for yout too! He can work out all things for good. I think Julie gives you wise advice, about not trying to 'fix' stuff now. Ignore what you can, deal with the worst, and make a plan of action in a couple of months.

Is there any way you can get some help? Like a nanny for a few days a week, or a mother's help? Might make all the difference when baby comes someone to take the boys out for a few hours a day and let you get some rest and deal with the baby. Just go into survival mode - whatever works at this time. Let go of ideals - God doesn't have ideals, He has reality. Lay it allon the table with Neil and with God, and work out how best to survive this phase.

I think you need to get some people in your life that you trust with the children. You can't do it all, dearest.

Big hugs,

Valerie

Jeannie said...

Alice, I'm not a Christian, so I can't honestly say I think prayer will sort out anything. I know I'm going to get yelled down for what I'm about to suggest, so I'm not even going to come back here and read further comments after I've left this one... I suggest you get an appointment for Arthur with a good child psychologist, as soon as possible (and I know the restrictions the NHS places on people) and that Neil takes him. From your description of his behaviour (and the peeing inside the house is particularly worrying) it sounds as though he has anger issues that have gone way beyond your ability to deal with. Find someone who works with play or art therapy, and who can help Arthur uncover why he is so angry and frustrated.

Going away now... thinking of you and sending you big big virtual hugs xxx

WonderGirl said...

Oh, Alice, I'm so sorry. I know that this close to your due date is NOT when you want to be dealing with spiders, heat, and naughtiness! I'm praying for you, thinking of you, and I have faith that you and Neil are gonna figure out how to handle this situation. I can't think of what advice to offer, except to say I think you're on the right track with a more extreme alternative. Peeing in the house is an extreme behavior, and maybe the usual techniques aren't going to work. I DO believe, that your boys are GOOD boys, they have just picked up some bad behaviors. They CAN unlearn them, it's not hopeless! Don't feel discouraged! Start researching some options, "supernannies", maybe even what Jeannie suggested... who better than a child psychologist to equip you with some good tools and help you understand the mind of a five year old? Whatever you decide, feel encouraged. Chaos does NOT have to rule your home, and the first step you take will bring you that much closer to a peaceful, enjoyable homelife. Love ya. Shannon

hopeforcambodia said...

Alice,

I've been thinking about this all morning, since I wrote my first comment. I have to say, I do tend to agree with Jeannie. I do feel that Arthur's behaviour is not in the spectrum of 'normal' 'naughtiness'. Those are quite extreme behaviours for him to exhibit. Personally, I wouldn't stress about it,but I would recommend seeking some professional help. They deal with this kind of thing ALL the time. It is not a reflection on you or your parenting. There may be some issues which just a bit of intervention would address.

Listen, you are NOT miserable failing. You are loving parents who want the best from and for their sons. There may be bigger issues here that need addressing. I know it is scary when these things happen to you, but having taught for fifteen years I have seen a ton of kids turn full circle with a bit of help.

Just my thoughts. Know that this can and WILL get better.

Valerie

Tequilamonkey said...

No advice (I learnt my lesson) just lots of hugs.

Hope it all gets better for you all soon and that Benjamin comes when you're all ready for him. The heatwave is meant to break tomorrow!

((((((Alice))))))

Me, you, the boys and the baby said...

Oh Alice! There's nothing I would like more than to live nearer to you so I could come and help! It's nearly weekend now, did Neil not manage to get an extra couple of days off? Maybe he could put up a washing line this weekend (or just buy one of those stand-up airers? At least you could get a bit of washing done just to keep on top of things! I honestly feel for you, I can't think of a worse time to have such bad behaviour :( and my only advice is that whatever it takes, that kind of thing needs to stop. The peeing really shocked me, and I can't help but agree with you that another influence is needed to sort this one out - someone who will back you and Neil up 100% to enforce to Arthur that his behaviour is completely unacceptable. Thinking of you, and hoping answers will come your way x

Anonymous said...

Alice,

I'm so sorry things are so difficult for you! I have no suggestions or advice (which is probably welcome anyway!) but I am thinking of you and I really hope you can get things sorted out somehow.

Nicola xx

schilver said...

I think the problem is your house –it’s simply too small for three boys, especially if they rarely leave it. They don’t get the chance to explore, run, do, see, touch and experience new things. Instead all and every day they are seeing and doing the same things – no wonder they’re so angry and frustrated and no wonder they’re taking that anger out on the house.

Spitting, peeing, drawing on walls – all their anger is directed towards the house – and to you and Neil for making them live there. It’s not only how small it is but also the clutter and mess. Arthur seems to be a boy who loves order and cleanliness and routine and I think his life now is very confusing and unhappy for him. Not because of his brothers and not because of the baby, but because of the state of the house and once you move I think that a lot of the issues will resolve themselves. I don’t mean to be rude because I understand the desire for more children but you were so fixated on getting pregnant again you failed to see that you weren’t providing adequate housing for the children you DID have. This year should have been about moving – organising and sorting your house and the boy’s routine to perfection. Of having a dedicated room or space for Arthur to go and learn away from his brothers. THEN would have been the time for another beautiful baby.
I think that once Benjamin is born you should hire as much help as you can possibly afford – a professional declutterer would be fantastic and then a cleaner who can come in and deepclean the place. Then you must, for Arthur’s sake if nothing else, put all energies into moving into a larger house.

((hugs)) You are a wonderful, caring, imaginative mother whose love for her children shines through every post. This is a dark and difficult period but one that will pass.

schilver said...

I hope I didn't come across as too harsh earlier. You've given me a lot of inspiration in the past - remember the fish and jellyfish you made? We did it to and the boys had so much fun I bought the book you recommended. And the Kumon books, and lots of other things too :-)

As I said before, it isn't your parenting skills which are the cause of the boys bad behaviour (at least in my opinion) and if you can move quickly enough I don't think you need outside help either. I think once you move you'll really come into your own as a mother and the boys will be so much happier.

:-)

Laura said...

Alice,

I'll be praying for strength, wisdom, and perseverance. Just remember to test any advice that you get (including mine) with God's Word, which I know that you know is the ultimate authority and truth. There are a lot of well meaning but confused people out there (I'm sure that I'm often a member of that group!), but God is sovereign and promises to give wisdom to those who ask. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

A couple of thoughts:
1. I've often felt as if my husband puts work first too, though actually he's a lovely chap and very family-minded. Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that men are v motivated by making money to out bread on their family's table. So I think Neil's concentration on work may be a male way of preparing for the birth - keeping his bread-winning role steady.
2. I know you're committed to home-schooling, but one possibility would be to try school for, say, one term and see how it goes. It doesn't have to be a permanent decision. One of my daughters had a friend who started at school then left to be homeschooled, and that was fine. It would just be a way of making sure, and seeing whether Arthur's behaviour improved. All my kids were difficult the year before they started school (more so than when toddlers) and improved massively when there - they were very ready for the relative formality, intellectual stimulation and mixing with lots of children their own age.

Unknown said...

PS I meant 'put' not 'out'! And an analogy to the school idea would be your views on the nappies - if you try, you sometimes get converted and have an easier life!

PsychedMum said...

I think you've been given some really sound advice in the comments here. I know you tuly wish for your children to stay with you all the time, but you also say how difficult you find it.

I work for the NHS now, in the school health department and with nurses who deal with children with all sorts of problems who are attending school. Unfortunately homeschooled children do slip through the cracks if the parents don't seek help themselves. The fact that Arthur acts the same way towards you both implies that it is not any failure on your part, but he needs to be seen by someone or else it will continue and Matthew will copy because he idolises his brother. This is very deep seated now and moving house alone might not be enough because of the chaos that will ensue. He needs to learn to cope with the constant changes and disruptions that comes with moving and having many young siblings.

He is a bright boy, perhaps as has been previously suggested, he could try school for a term or so? Many families try this and we do have children leaving to be homeschooled if that's what works for them. If he was at school he could be cared for by the school health team who would liase with you. I know he is still your baby, but perhaps you could give him a choice, when you move, whether he would like to try school or not. I get the impression that he would be able to make a decision even at his young age, and that you and Neil would support him in making his choice no matter what, which would only strengthen your relationship with him and his love and respect for you both.

Please take some professional advice and move on from there. I don't think anyone here thinks badly of you, but we can see how you're all struggling and want to help. xxx

Melanie said...

Alice,

You are such a wonderful mommy and only want the best for your children. You are in no way doing anything wrong to cause Arthur to act this way. Some children are just more "spirited" than others. Arthur sounds a lot like my youngest son. I used to have to keep him busy or he got bored easily and would act out.

I am just an email away if you ever want to talk about the things that helped me not pull my hair out. I won't tell you that you need to move to a larger house right after having a baby and I will not tell you to send your child off to school. I understand your strong beliefs and what you want for your children.

So please email me if you would like and I will share what worked for me and my "spirited" child.

Much love and hugs!

P.S. I hope the next post is a birth story! =)

God Bless Sweet Alice!

Gingerlylizzy said...

Gah! I tried to post and it didn't work! Well, my original message was that I read this really great book that works so well for my kids - it is called 123 Magic. It takes all the stress out of parenting and my kids are really so much better behaved since I implemented it!

I am sending mental hugs to you! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, sorry to hear things are so chaotic at the moment! Try not to beat yourself up about it too much, you're an ordinary person, not superwoman and you can't be expected to have an immaculate house and the kids out of the sound of music while 39 weeks pregnant and trying to look after 3 small ones. It's just not possible. If he can, ask Neil to take the boys for an hour and take yourself off to the park or somewhere to just sit in the sun by yourself and unwind in the peace and quiet for a hour, it might make you feel better. My brother had behavioural issues when he was little and my mother sent him to the child psychiatrist (back in the early 80s, today I guess they would be a behaviourist) and they taught her ways to deal with his temper and his tantrums. Maybe it would be worth getting a referral, just to get some professional advice on the best ways to deal with it before it gets out of hand and really starts to get you down? Anyway, I hope things look a bit brighter soon, take care, Vicola