Anyway I am so ready to get back in the swing of more exciting GOOD nutritious meals for us all. I get itchy to cook hearty warming things once the winter sets in! :) I love this time of year! So I have planned 7 days worth of meals, and I am currently shopping online at Tesco for tomorrow morning's order. I have almost finished, but I suddenly wanted to post our meal plan at my blog, so here I am doing it! :) We'll likely be flexible on the days/meals, and to be honest I'll probably see what the dates are on the meat packages and re-order the meals accordingly, when the shopping arrives! But this is our meal plan for the next seven days:
Thursday 3rd December: Lamb and bean hotpot (recipe to follow! *drool*)
Friday 4th December: Spaghetti bolognese (double batch - one to freeze)
Saturday 5th December: Roast chicken and trimmings
Sunday 6th December: Leftover chicken - either potato-topped "pie" or pasta bake
Monday 7th December: Pork crockpot
Tuesday 8th December: Macaroni cheese with peas
Wednesday 9th December: Fish pie - although possibly fish fingers with my tomato/pesto sauce and pasta if it's easier (the boys like this better too).
Hooray! I'm sooo looking forward to those meals! Yum! :) Cooking them is enjoyable too, much more so than I used to find cooking, though it's usually stressful juggling the children's antics and the baby's naps with preparing dinner! Haven't figured that one out yet at ALL, but it'll work out in the end I should think. :)
I was hunting around for new recipes recently, and found that Tesco has a good-sized recipe section. I tried two new recipes from there last week - I don't think I can link them because I am not sure if you have to register at Tesco to see them. So I'll write the recipe out here. Anyway, I tried American Corn Chowder, which was nice (Neil LOVED it, the boys would not touch it at all) but not a favourite for me and I wouldn't be jumping to make it again. I did make a double batch, so we have another meal of that in the freezer. The other meal I tried was Lamb and bean hotpot, which - OH MY GOODNESS!! - is worth making every week! I LOVE it, Neil loves it, and it's lovely and hearty and yummy and easy, and all in one "pot", similar to the ease of a crockpot really, as it just cooks for 2 hours (with a little bit of attention during that time) and is a complete meal when it's done. So, in case anyone wants to try it, and so that I can read this entry back and drool once in a while (haha!), here's the recipe:
Lamb and Bean Hotpot
(serves 6; preparation 30mins; cooking time 2 hours)
2 tbsp olive oil
625 g (1¼lb) lean diced lamb
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 red onions, cut into wedges
1 tbsp plain flour
2 leeks, trimmed, sliced
3 large carrots, peeled, sliced
2 bay leaves
600 ml (1 pint) lamb stock
300 g can flageolet beans
6 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
750 g (1½lb) white potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
50 g (2oz) melted butter
1. Heat oil in a large heavy based casserole dish and cook the lamb over high heat for 4-5 minutes until browned. Add garlic and onions. Cook for further 2-3 minutes until softened slightly. Sprinkle the flour over. Toss well to coat.
2. Add leeks, carrots and bay leaves and pour in stock. Bring to boil, cover and cook for 40 minutes until meat is tender. Remove the lid for final 15 minutes of cooking.
3. Meanwhile cook the potatoes in a large pan of water for 10 minutes. Drain well. Preheat the oven to Gas 6, 200°C, fan180°C (no idea what that is in Farenheit, but could convert 200°C online to find out?).
4. Remove the meat and vegetables from heat and add the beans and parsley. Stir well. Layer potatoes on top of meat, lightly brushing with the melted butter as you go, then brush the top with remaining butter. Bake for 1 hour until potatoes are golden.
Sooooo yummy! :)





3 comments:
Hi Alice, I'm still reading your blog, used to comment back in the diary land days, but I don't think I've commented here before!
your meal plans sound great. Have you seen/tried Menus4Moms.com? I don't stick to it religiously, but they do come up with some good ideas for those weeks when you're all out of ideas AND they come up with a shopping list. It's American so some of the 'easy to find' ingredients aren't so easy in the UK (I'm British, but I live in the US) - but most would work fine.
The lamb hot pot sounds so good. I'm looking forward to trying that one.
All the best
Deborah
dang! no comments then 2 at once! meant to say menus4moms doe charge for current menus, but their archives section is free and just as detailed!
Hi Deborah! Thanks for the link - will have to check that out! :)
Post a Comment